SubjectRe: [Linux-fbdev-devel] [BK fbdev updates]

> James,
>
> I tried the patch, and it does produce a cleaner and smaller driver.
> Overall, I like it. Some observations:
>
> 1. Without the fb_set_var() hook, switching from X messes up the
> console. I would guess this will be addressed by the console?

fbcon_switch has to be rewritten. I'm going threw the process of cleaning
up the upper fbcon layer. Its such a mess. Yuck!!!

> 2. Console panning/wrapping does not work. updatevar includes a check
> "if (con == info->currcon)", and my guess is info->currcon is obsoleted
> so the check always fails.

It worked before. Strange. Do you mean for you console panning doesn't
work on the visiable VC or a non visible VC?

> 3. fbdev can be loaded without taking over the console. After running
> an fb-based application, exiting fbdev messes up the vga console
> (actually hangs the system). Should the fbdev driver provide the
> capability to restore the VGA state then, ie at info->fb_release?

Yes!!! Of course there is the issue is the framebuffer that actual one
used for vgacon or is it independent, thinking multihead here.

> 4. The initial font loaded is 8x8. It seems that 8x16 fonts are limited
> for the SGI console console only. Any reason why?

I have no idea why that is. You can select a differnt font.

> 5. The cfb_* drawing functions still behave erratically, especially in
> emacs. Geert has made some versions that work correctly for me. This
> was discussed in a thread sometimes ago.

Where are the patchs. I like to incorporate them into BK.

> Attached is a diff that will allow the logo to be drawn at 8-bpp
> pseudocolor:

Applied.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.268 / U:0.368 seconds]