SubjectRe: BK is *evil* corporate software [was Re: New BK License Problem?]
On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 04:55:00PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> And none of that includes the hardware costs, which are dramatically
> cheaper for BK, it works on a laptop. Clearcase doesn't.

ClearCase does work on lap tops. Even if you mean disconnected,
ClearCase allows work to continue with snapshot views... :-)

Hardware costs are nothing really. The true killer with ClearCase is
the support costs. Not only do you need several full time people to
deal with user problems, you need several full time people to
customize your solution such that it meets your needs, several full
time people to baby the servers, and a whole management structure on
top to ensure that the full time people talk to each other, and the
actual users.

$3000/head really is nothing to large companies. CVS developers don't
understand, but for companies with several hundred designers, using
CVS would end up costing a heckuvalot more. I have become so
accustomed to features that are available in higher level systems such
as ClearCase that I find it difficult to use CVS. It is the difference
between black and white and colour.

mark

--
mark@mielke.cc/markm@ncf.ca/markm@nortelnetworks.com __________________________
. . _ ._ . . .__ . . ._. .__ . . . .__ | Neighbourhood Coder
and in the darkness bind them...

http://mark.mielke.cc/

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans