SubjectRe: [bk/patch] driver model update: device_unregister()
On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Roman Zippel wrote:

> > I did and I'm less than impressed by his arguments. Filesystem module
> > unloading works fine, thank you very much.
>
> I agree, that it works, but it's more complex than necessary.
> We need module pointers everywhere, which are needed for reference
> counting. To make this worse this only works for modules, so you possibly
> need another reference count (e.g. see struct proc_dir_entry).
> On the other hand can_unload() isn't really a solution either. From the
> point can_unload() returns true, the module must not be called anymore. So
> without some big lock this would only work if can_unload also calls
> module_exit() and the whole thing gets even more complex.
> Anyway, the module pointers can be easily replaced with a normal ref
> count, but this requires that module_exit() can fail and so a new module
> API, but IMO this can wait for 2.7, try_inc_mod_count() will do until
> then.

This is a never ending story, but anyway. I think the mistake is seeing
mod->use_count as a reference count for all objects exported from that
module (apart from symbols). But it is not, and I don't think it should
be. It's more of a "don't unload me now, I have given away references
which won't come back anytime soon, so unloading may block a long time"
hint. The APIs used by the module can still internally do separate exact
ref counting without that causing races, that's because a
pci_unregister_driver() call should block until all references are gone
before returning. The module doesn't need to care. It just calls
pci_unregister_driver() from module_exit() and it'll be safe without any
additional coding or thinking needed.

The only thing you need to be aware of is that pci_unregister_driver()
will call ::remove for devices registered with your driver. If you know
that your ::remove routine can get rid of the reference without further
delay, that's fine. However, say, your pci device was a network card
which registered "eth0" and someone said "ifconfig eth0 up", you have to
unregister "eth0" in your ::remove routine. And you know that this will
block until "ifconfig eth0 down" has run, which is potentially a long
time. So at this point, you decide to rather not have the user wait
forever until his "rmmod net_pci" succeeds, but return -EBUSY right away.
You do it by running MOD_INC_USE_COUNT in ::open(), and DEC again in
::close(). Actually, you don't even need to do it yourself, the network
layer will do it for you if you tell it which module is associated with
"eth0" by setting ::owner.

Note that things are actually very similar to your suggestion.

You want a two stage

module_begin_unload()

module_finish_unload()

where the first call unregisters the references it registered before, and
possibly sets a flag or something to avoid other code to acquire further