SubjectRe: [kbuild-devel] Re: linux kernel conf 0.8

Roman Zippel wrote:

>>But the fact that xconfig depends on QT is going to make some people hate
>>it.
>>

>This should be rather easily fixable, but it has to be done by someone who
>is more familiar with whatever prefered toolkit. I'm familiar with QT and
>it's absolutely great to get quickly reasonable results, if someone wants
>something else I gladly will help, but I can't do it myself.
>The interface to the back end is quite simple so it should be no real
>problem to add a different user interface.

This is a difficult one. GUI's toolkits are a bit of religion
(fundamentalist types too).

I like and use GNOME. KDE looks good too but I steered away from it in
the early days due to the Qt licensing. I've heard rumors that the new
license is GPL compatible but I get the feeling that it is still not
squeeky clean. A lot of people don't like the larger resources for
these desktop environments.

The most common GUI toolkits used in Linux would be GTK, Qt,
Lesstif/Motif and Xaw (I've probably missed some). Xaw will work on
just about every platform I think, not sure about the others on non
linux platforms apart from lesstiff.

I personally believe in cross platform GUI toolkits and use wxWindows
for this. I really like wxpython (GTK and MSW only) for quick
development. I believe there are python wrappers to most toolkits (Qt,
GTK, etc).

As you can see there are soooooo many guis to choose/use and everyone
has there favourite. I suggest that the real work be done outside of
the GUI program. ie. seperate GUI and application guts as much as
possible. I would use python as the main language but C or even C++
could be used instead as a lot of people hate interpreters, or hate
python (prefer perl, php or something else).

I'm pretty sure there is no one solution and it comes down to the
politics and preferences of the final decision makers up the heirarchy.

Good luck,
Brendan Simon.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.205 / U:0.076 seconds]