    SubjectRe: Unable to kill processes in D-state
    On 6 October 2002 15:09, Thomas Lang?s wrote:
    > Jan Hudec:
    > > If the shares were successfuly reloaded, then the processes should
    > > wake up. If they don't, it's a bug in NFS.
    > They never wake up, and it happens every time.
    > > Try to reproduce it (ie. reboot some machine, let it start
    > > everything and then restart the autofsd and see if processes lock
    > > up) and then talk to NFS maintainers about that.
    > As I said above, it happens every time we encounter this, ie. it's a
    > bug that easy to reproduce (since I added
    > to the CC-list, I'm going to write some of what's already said in
    > this thread).
    > Problem:
    > Processes entering D-state is unkillable. We have a problem with this
    > everytime we restart autofs (which automounts quite a few NFS-shares
    > on campus), ie. on our samba-boxes smbd hangs forever after this
    > (in D-state). Samba still works, it's just that all the D-state
    > processes is unkillable and will remain that way untill we reboot the
    > computer. Every D-state process increases the load on the machine,
    > and one of our 2-CPU intel-boxes currently remains at 430 (which
    > extremly high for such a box).
    > Solution:
    > ? :)

    Please provide info about:
    * automounter startup options
    * automounter configuration file(s)
    * client/server kernel version and .config
    * ksymoopsed SysRq-T dump of a couple of hung processes
    (no, not all processes! please select 2-5 hung processes _only_
    before feeding dump to ksymoops :-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.020 / U:30.912 seconds]