    SubjectRe: The end of embedded Linux?
    Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

    > Also my original comments were much more aimed at the core stuff. People
    > who made existing and especially core stuff smaller could send the stuff
    > out. Several of us want to compile a CONFIG_TINY option, and suprisingly
    > enough small is good on high end boxes. My L1 cache is 8 times faster
    > than my L2 cache is 7 times faster than my memory. Or to put it another
    > way, going to main memory costs me maybe 100 instructions.
    >
    > My Athlon thinks small is good too!

    Regarding this, has anyone been thinking of splitting printk into a
    bunch of macros such as:

    #ifndef CONFIG_TINY
    #define printk_debug(xxx...) printk(KERN_DEBUG, xxx...)
    #define printk_info(xxx...) printk(KERN_INFO, xx...)
    #else
    #define printk_debug(xxx...) do { } while (0)
    #define printk_info(xxx...) do { } while (0)
    #endif

    and so on? This way debug messages could very simply be compiled to
    oblivion when CONFIG_TINY is enabled.

    /Christer

    Freelance consultant specializing in device driver programming for Linux
    Christer Weinigel <christer@weinigel.se> http://www.weinigel.se