       From: Alan Cox <>
    Date: 06 Oct 2002 00:50:27 +0100

    Linus used to do about a patch every 2 days. Nowdays its a lot slower. I
    put that down to buttkeeper

    You can get up to hourly patch snapshots, and the so-called
    buttkeeper is what makes that possible. Ask Rik or Jgarzik,
    as I believe those are two folks who provide this service.

    To me the ftp site patches serve what they should have always served,
    as major checkpoints. The every-2-day patch thing was necessary back
    then because we had no other window into what was in Linus's tree
    at any given point in time. Which was truly brutal for folks that
    needed to be merging with him on a daily basis just to keep the
    backlog in check.

    Now we have tons of windows into his live tree, some use bitkeeper
    others are in purely patch form and do not require the use of
    bitkeeper. You can even click on a website to see "did Linus eat that
    XXX diff I sent him 2 hours ago?"

    By all accounts, information is more available than it used to be.
    In fact, the information is available in so many formats and sources
    that you have quite a wide selection of how you get it.

    People like Andrew Morton even publish the "snapshot as of two hours
    ago" diffs of Linus's tree against the most recent FTP patch in their
    patch sets.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.027 / U:4.672 seconds]