SubjectRe: RFC: bare pci configuration access functions ?
On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 06:39:26PM -0800, Lee, Jung-Ik wrote:

> Platform management, early console access, acpi, hotplug io-node w/ root,...
> pci_bus based access is useless before pci driver is initialized.
> All exceptions will be forced to use fake structs...
> Sounds we need to be ready to live with all exceptions here too :)
> Or just to make them all happy with that simple bare functions.

Ok, let's make them happy with bare functions, _if_ we have to. Places
that do not have to will be gleefully pointed out and mocked :)

> OK, if simple and pure pci config access is not possible in Linux land,
> let pci driver fake itself, not everyone else :)
> Just export the two APIs like pci_config_{read|write}(s,b,d,f,s,v),
> or the ones in acpi driver. Hide the fake pci_bus manipulation in them.
> This way is way better than having everyone fake pci driver ;-)

I agree. But can we do this for all archs? I don't know, and look
forward to your patch proving this will work. Without all arch support
of this, I can't justify only exporting the functions for i386 and ia64.

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.026 / U:0.312 seconds]