    SubjectRe: CONFIG_TINY
    On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Tom Rini wrote:

    > On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 12:12:40PM -0500, Mark Mielke wrote:

    > > > You're still missing the point of flexibility remark. Changing the
    > > > optimization level has nothing to do with CONFIG_TINY, and is a
    > > > generally useful option, and should be done seperate from CONFIG_TINY.
    > > > In fact people seem to be getting the wrong idea about CONFIG_TINY. We
    > >
    > > Please read it again... even if the optimization flag was
    > > configurable, choosing CONFIG_TINY should *default* the optimization
    > > flag to -Os before it defaults the optimization flag to -O2.
    >
    > Yes, and I'm saying that CONFIG_TINY shouldn't exist. It should be
    > CONFIG_FINE_TUNE (or so), to allow anyone to fine tune the optimization
    > level. Changing optimization levels is a speed / size tradeoff (if it
    > wasn't, there wouldn't be -O2 / -Os, they would do the same thing) which
    > you cannot pick a sane default for.

    By that reasoning there shouldn't be -O2 either, everyone should be forced
    to diddle everything for their architecture, cache size, gcc revision,
    patch level... does that sound as unrealistic to you as it does to me? -Os
    is a default, just like -O2, and if you want small -Os is probably a
    better starting point.

    As noted in another note, anyone good enough to make those decisions is
    probably able to find a string in a Makefile.

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc