SubjectRe: PROBLEM: ide-related kernel panic in 2.4.19 and 2.4.20-pre11
On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Thomas Dodd wrote:

> Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> >

> >>So could you ask the question a little more blunt?
> >>
> >>"Gee, I am trying to break a US Law on content protection, would you be my
> >>enabler? Don't worry, it only effects the US, and we are in a public
> >>forum. Also, do you prefer gray or black in your future pin stripped
> >>suit?"
> >

> > Unless the rules have changed VERY recently, making a copy of legally
> > owned music for personal use, such as in the car, MP3 player, etc, is
> > called "fair use" and is totally legal.
>
> Actually the rules did change. read the DMCA. It's illegal to
> break the security, regardless of the reason. So you have fair
> use rights, but cannot take atvantage of them.

That would be making a "derivative work" which did not have the security,
a true and faithful copy (ektype) has not broken the security.

> Same as the DVD and Ebook cases. Breaking the protection is
> illegal. Eventually this will hit the courts, but it will take
> several tries to win on fair use grounds.

Let's hope so, it will be an interesting trial(s).

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc