    SubjectRe: Xiafs inclusion in 2.5?
    H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
    > > Hello Linus,
    > >
    > > somewhere back in 2000, you [Linus Torvalds] wrote:
    > > > Who still remembers xiafs? We have 33 different filesystems in
    > > > the kernel tree - something that is quite impressive, and something
    > > > that I don't think anybody else has ever tried to support.
    > > > But we could have had 34.
    > >
    > > Out of curiosity, would you reaccept xiafs in 2.5, if it was cleaned
    > > up and forward ported to use the new interfaces?
    > > And if you accept it, what's the latest date I could submit it?
    > > Technically, it is a regression, ;-) so the feature freeze date
    > > might not apply.
    > >

    > Not to be flippant, but really... what's the point?

    There are several:
    - Trying to fulfill what I percieve to be a wish of Linus which nobody
    has cared for
    - Being able to recover *very* old data without having to dig out a
    compiler+computer suitable for 2.0 kernels
    - Linux is supposed to be fun (The point which matters)

    Regards,
    Carl-Daniel

    P.S. Please CC me because my subscription to lkml seems to be hosed.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.022 / U:62.632 seconds]