SubjectRe: What's left over.
john stultz wrote:
> Ugh, that seems dangerous. Too many forgotten ACL links and then I could
> accidentally give a vague acquaintance access to all my data meant for
> close friends.

The idea is that you'd typically have (a) (small number of) specific
location(s) where you keep your files representing groups, e.g.
$HOME/acls/ for your personal lists, maybe ~project/acls/ for
projects, etc.

If you think already this is dangerous, then you should be
terrified by regular, non-aggregateable ACLs ;-)

I'm not saying that ACLs aren't useful, only that the lack of
aggregateability makes them hard to maintain, so that people
frequently fall back to setup scripts that simple re-create
their ACL configuration. Once you're at this point, ACLs have
lost much of their usefulness, and you might as well use some
suid program that creates groups for you.

- Werner