SubjectRe: Reiser vs EXT3
Hans Reiser wrote:

> If you want to talk about 2.6 then you should talk about reiser4 not
> reiserfs v3, and reiser4 is 7.6 times the write performance of ext3
> for 30 copies of the linux kernel source code using modern IDE drives
> and modern processors on a dual-CPU box, so I don't think any amount
> of improved scalability will make ext3 competitive with reiser4 for
> performance usages.

What is the read performance like?

write performance isn't the end-all be-all of useful benchmarks, because
most servers do far more reading in a day than they will ever write.
And like Andrew has pointed out on more than one occasion, reads are
usually synchronous, because applications are typically blocking until
each read is satisfied.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.056 / U:0.140 seconds]