    SubjectRe: What's left over.
    On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 11:48:23PM -0700, Dax Kelson wrote:

    > Technically speaking you can achieve ACL like permissions/behavior
    > using the historical UNIX security model by creating a group EACH
    > time you run into a unique case permission scenario.

    I'm not arguing against this... I'm claiming POSIX ACLs are mostly
    brain-dead and almost worthless (broken by committee pressure and too
    many people making stupid concessions).

    If we must have ACLs, why not do it right?

    > Without ACLs, if Sally, Joe and Bill need rw access to a file/dir,
    > just create another group with just those three people in. Over
    > time, of course, this leads to massive group proliferation. Without
    > Tim Hockin's patch, 32 groups is maximum number of groups a user can
    > be a member of.

    How many people actually need this level of complexity?

    Why are we adding all this shit and bloat because of perceived
    problems most people don't have? What next, some kind of misdesigned
    in-kernel CryptoAPI?

    --cw

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.036 / U:0.048 seconds]