    SubjectRe: Abbott and Costello meet Crunch Time -- Penultimate 2.5 merge candidate list.
    Date
    On Wednesday 30 October 2002 4:00, Miles Bader wrote:
    > Erik Andersen <andersen@codepoet.org> writes:
    > > IMHO the embedded world (as well as everyone else) wants initramfs --
    > > it is a major improvement.

    Erik

    #1 I'll be reviewing initramfs and adding loading image from
    the kernel support. I don't deny it's a godo thig to have.

    #2 My main bitch at jeff was he said if initramfs goes in
    initrd comes out. initrd shodul not come out.

    My patch is the best of both because

    > I guess I'm part of the `embedded world,' and I don't want _either_
    > because they _both use RAM_!

    My patch supports this (well it can be in about 5 lines of code)

    Right now for backwards compatiblity I have a
    initrd_from_floppy option (which replaces load_ramdisk=).
    I was debating changing that to initrd_from= and then you can
    spec /dev/fd0, /dev/fd1, or in your case a memory device linux
    understandings.

    But I mostly dimissed it because that is the job of the
    boot loader....but you bring up a good point where it
    could be used.

    --
    The time is now 22:48 (Totalitarian) - http://www.ccops.org/