    SubjectRe: What's left over.
    * Rik van Riel ( wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Rusty Russell wrote:
    > > > ext2/ext3 ACLs and Extended Attributes
    > >
    > > I don't know why people still want ACL's. There were noises about them for
    > > samba, but I'v enot heard anything since. Are vendors using this?
    > Yes, people use it. Not quite sure why though, I guess ACLs
    > buy some flexibility over the user/group/other model but if
    > the "unlimited groups" patch goes in (is in?) I'm happy ;)
    > Personally I do think either the unlimited groups patch or
    > ACLs are needed in order to sanely run a large anoncvs setup.

    The feeling I got on this was the ability to let users define their own
    groups. Perhaps I'm not following it closely enough but that was the
    impression I got in terms of "what this does for us"; I'm probably
    missing other things. Just that ability would be nice in my view
    though. Isn't it something that's been in AFS for a long time too?
    I've got a few friends who've played with AFS before (at CMU and the
    like) and really enjoyed the ACLs there.

    Just my thoughts,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.021 / U:6.536 seconds]