SubjectRe: Abbott and Costello meet Crunch Time -- Penultimate 2.5 merge candidate list.
Dave Cinege wrote:

>On Wednesday 30 October 2002 2:40, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>

>>untar - cpio is better.
>>

>CPIO is commonly used and supported by NO ONE. (rpm, whoppee)
>Kernels even come tar'ed. KISS....

Irrelevant to this problem. cpio unpack code is smaller, and its format
allows easy and painless concatenation.

>>initrd - 99% moved out of the kernel
>>

>Great...you just killed the high level embedded linux market, and
>the ability to play boot games from GRUB. (Network, etc)
>Initrd is a good **OPTION* to have to fall back on...

Correct -- and after the initramfs merge, initrd behavior will be
completely unchanged.

>>do_mounts - moved out of the kernel completely
>>

>And he's willing to completely purge initrd and do_mounts NOW???

Nothing is being purged. Things are being moved to userspace, making
the kernel smaller and less bloated. The kernel's behavior to the end
user is 100% unchanged.

>>initramfs - should be ready for Linus in the next day or so.
>>

>Fire away with the 100K+ bloated POS. I'm backwards compatible,
>could easily add 'linked kernel image' support, and only increase
>the current code by 20K.

initramfs decreases the kernel size by a load, thank you very much.

Further, any initrd solution is bloated -- you are using a ram disk and
disk-based filesystem, the sum of which equates to ramfs -- with
additional wasted memory for filesystem and ramdisk overhead.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.103 / U:0.108 seconds]