    SubjectRe: nanosecond file timestamp resolution in filesystems, GNU make, etc.
    Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
    > > It's impossible. There is no space left in struct stat64
    > > And adding a new syscall just for that would be severe overkill.
    >
    > Well, possibly more stuff could benefit from new stat syscalls, like a
    > st_gen member for inode generations. And as someone suggested, a version
    > number or a length could be specified by the calls this time to permit
    > less disturbing expansion in the future.

    It's already there. The kernel stat64() syscall has a flags argument,
    which is unused at the moment. I presume it's for this purpose.

    Glibc aleady uses a version number for its stat() calls, to permit
    binary compatible extensions on the user side.

    So all the mechanism is there AFAIK.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.022 / U:2.104 seconds]