SubjectRe: Question about problem you posted at http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/2002-18/0689.html
Posted to Linux-Kernel since it's still a valid ALi 15XX driver problem.

From Patti Ordonez on Friday, 25 October, 2002:
>Hello,
>I found a problem you posted at
> http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/2002-18/0689.html.
>I am having the same problem while trying to load Linux on my Toshiba
>1625CDT. Did you ever find a solution to your problem? Were you able to
>install linux on your machine. I believe it has to do with repartitioning
>space for hibernation.
>Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Yes; I have everything working on this laptop (with maybe the exception of
the lid-close switch, which somehow causes the laptop to crash or simply
not suspend properly.).

What I did was create (with Toshiba's/Phoenix's hibernation partition
creation utility; I forget what it's called and where I got it; if you
find it, please tell me so I can archive off a copy of it for later. :)
a suspend partition for the BIOS. I set the laptop to suspend to disk
(otherwise, suspending to RAM causes the processor to overheat (I
highly suspect a BIOS bug, but, natch, Linux is unsupported so they
won't look into it. *sigh*)).

The critical point is to *disable* ALi 15xx IDE support. Otherwise,
the laptop suspends everything but "extended" memory and simply hangs
at the start of saving off that data.

You can get around using PIO mode by creating one ALi kernel, booting
into it to activate DMA, then rebooting into a non-ALi (generic IDE
drivers) kernel so that you can suspend to disk. It's an annoying
workaround, though, and I'd like to finally have BIOS and the ALi
drivers play nice.

I look forward to the software suspend coming up, since I can then not
have to rely on a gronky, highly proprietary (so far as I can tell)
BIOS.

-Joseph

--
"Alt text doesn't pop up unless you use an ancient browser from the days of

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.021 / U:0.100 seconds]