    SubjectRe: Switching from IOCTLs to a RAMFS
    Mark Peloquin wrote:
    > Based on the feedback and comments regarding
    > the use of IOCTLs in EVMS, we are switching to
    > the more preferred method of using a ram based
    > fs. Since we are going through this effort, I
    > would like to get it right now, rather than
    > having to switch to another ramfs system later
    > on. The question I have is: should we roll our
    > own fs, (a.k.a. evmsfs) or should we use sysfs
    > for this purpose? My initial thoughts are that
    > sysfs should be used. However, recent discussions
    > about device mapper have suggested a custom ramfs.
    > Which is the *best* choice?

    (cc'd viro and mochel, as I feel they are 'owners' in the subject area)

    Let's jump back a bit, for a second. Why is procfs bad news? There are
    minor issues with the implementation of single-page output and lack of
    pure file operations, but the big issue is lack of a sane namespace.
    sysfs is no better than procfs if we keep heaving junk into it without
    thinking about proper namespace organization.

    I personally prefer a separate filesystem for what you describe. That
    gives the EVMS team control over their own portion of the namespace,
    while giving complete flexibility. I do _not_ see sysfs as simply a
    procfs replacement -- sysfs IMO is more intended as a way to organize
    certain events and export internal kernel structure.

    To tangent a bit, WRT a private evmsfs, make sure that (a) you prefer
    ASCII over binary interfaces where reasonable, and (b) any binary
    interfaces you have are fixed-endian and 64-bit safe from the get-go.
    Consider crazy cases like someone exporting evmsfs over NFS, from a
    32-bit IA32 server to a big-endian 64-bit client.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:7.129 / U:0.000 seconds]