    SubjectOne for the Security Guru's

    Once there was a company durring the dot.com boom. This company had
    some outside consultants come in and tell them how to do a number of
    things. Many of the things were laughed off but some stuck. 2 things
    in particular are giving me nightmares now that I'm at this company.
    They have survived the bust and I think will actually stand a very good
    chance to be very important in the near future so I want to see them
    stay sane, stable and secure.

    The consultants aparantly told the company admins that kernel modules
    were a massive security hole and extremely easy targets for root kits.
    As a result every machine has a 100% monolithic kernel, some of them
    ranging to 1.9Meg in filesize. This of course provides some other
    sticky points such as how to do a kernel boot image.

    I'd like it from the guru's on exactly how bad a hole this really is
    and if there is a method in the kernel that will prevent such exploits.
    For example, if I disable CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is the kernel less likely
    to accept a module we didn't build? Are there plans to implement some
    form of finger printing on modules down the road?

    Thanks for your imput guys,
    Robert

    :wq!
    Robert L. Harris

    DISCLAIMER:
    These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.
    FYI:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.020 / U:0.344 seconds]