SubjectRe: One for the Security Guru's
On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> Of course the attack against Linux was "true". If you put a
> Linux machine (or Sun or whatever), on the outside of a firewall
> it may be attacked, therefore vulnerable to attack. And, if
> investors learned that you were so stupid as to put it outside
> a firewall, you might get sued by the investors. It's all perfectly
> true. It's a trick by liars that lie by telling irrefutable
> truths.

Actually at the place that just went bankrupt on me I had a Security
consultant complain that 2 of my servers were outside the firewall. He
recommended that I get a firewall just for those 2 servers but backed off
when I pointed out that I would need to open all of the same ports that
are open on the server anyways so the vulnerability isn't any less with
the firewall.

Firewalls are another Security Consultant's lie and using them for
anything other than preventing outside connections to internal machines
and keeping certain DOS attacks outside the network is a waste of money.
To top it off they make admins feel safer so they are less likely to make
sure the machine is actually admined properly.

Never trust Security Consultants.

Gerhard

--
Gerhard Mack

gmack@innerfire.net

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.