    SubjectRe: Bitkeeper outrage, old and new
    People who disagree with my views about free software often say that
    it is ineffective for me to talk about them. The ways they say this
    are as boundless as human imagination, but the message is the same:
    "No one agrees with you, no one cares, you are wasting your time, your
    efforts are totally ineffective."

    However, other evidence shows that some people are paying attention
    even if others are not. Talking about principles encourages people to
    think about them, and that has an influence. In the long run, it has
    been very effective--merely writing code would have achieved little.

    I conclude that the reason people insist so strongly that no one is
    listening is precisely because that isn't so. The aim of these
    messages is to cause discouragement. After recognizing this, one can
    easily avoid believing them.

    Until it happens please assume that those who
    chose to use the tool they want are exercising their freedom

    They are exercising a legal right to do something foolish and
    harmful. Freedom does not mean nobody can criticize you.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.017 / U:4.632 seconds]