SubjectRe: 2.5.44 fs corruption
From
On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 11:19:37AM +0100, Chris Newland wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> Does your motherboard use the 760MPX chipset?
>
> I used to get DMA related lockups on my MSI K7D-Master (760MPX, Dual 1900+)
> until I heard about the erratum in the 768 southbridge (see attached mail).
> From your dmesg it looks like you are using a USB trackball. Switching from
> USB to PS2 mouse fixed the problem for me.

That'd be my exact motherboard. It's been quite stable for months
(with my beloved trackball plugged into the USB port), but I'll give
it a shot.

Both you and the errata mention lockups. In my case the system
certainly didn't lock up - existing shell sessions still responded
(and generated new and interesting error messages).

Hmmm... on second thought, I suspect this was the first time it put
the IDE bus in anything like UDMA 66. 2.5.44 had the Viper driver,
where 2.4.18 was just punting and running in UDMA 33.

I'll go stick a ps/2 mouse on the bugger and run w/ 2.5.44 for the
next day or so and see if it goes belly up again.

Erik