    SubjectRe: feature request - why not make netif_rx() a pointer?
    Slavcho Nikolov wrote:

    > As for GPL, I hope that commercial enterprises be allowed to utilize
    > business models
    > which do not necessarily consist in providing services around free software.
    > The more replaceable hooks you provide to filesystems and network stacks,
    > the better.

    I don't think you understand the nature of the GPL and linux development.

    The kernel developers do not have any obligation to anything other than
    technical excellence. You're getting a highly optimized operating
    system *at no financial cost*. In return, the community requires that
    certain types of modifications be made publicly available.

    If you want to replace the messaging code, make a GPL'd kernel patch and
    make it available to your clients (of course they can then publish it
    all over the place if they so desire). If those terms are not
    acceptable, there's always BSD.

    Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10
    Nortel Networks | work: (613) 765-0557
    3500 Carling Avenue | fax: (613) 765-2986
    Nepean, ON K2H 8E9 Canada | email:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.020 / U:33.068 seconds]