SubjectRe: One for the Security Guru's
On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I'd like it from the guru's on exactly how bad a hole this really is
> and if there is a method in the kernel that will prevent such exploits.
> For example, if I disable CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is the kernel less likely
> to accept a module we didn't build? Are there plans to implement some
> form of finger printing on modules down the road?

I seem to recall that there are rootkits with kernel modules out in the
wild. If I recall correctly, there is a kernel capabilities patch that
will disallow loading modules after some point.

Its been something I've been meaning to look into more, but with a million
other projects on the platter ...

-- John E. Jasen (
-- User Error #2361: Please insert coffee and try again.