    SubjectRe: One for the Security Guru's
    On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Robert L. Harris wrote:

    > I'd like it from the guru's on exactly how bad a hole this really is
    > and if there is a method in the kernel that will prevent such exploits.
    > For example, if I disable CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is the kernel less likely
    > to accept a module we didn't build? Are there plans to implement some
    > form of finger printing on modules down the road?

    I seem to recall that there are rootkits with kernel modules out in the
    wild. If I recall correctly, there is a kernel capabilities patch that
    will disallow loading modules after some point.

    Its been something I've been meaning to look into more, but with a million
    other projects on the platter ...

    -- John E. Jasen (
    -- User Error #2361: Please insert coffee and try again.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.018 / U:74.572 seconds]