SubjectRe: feature request - why not make netif_rx() a pointer?
David S. Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 14:15, Matti Aarnio wrote:
>
>> ftp://zmailer.org/linux/netif_rx.patch
>

> Please EXPORT_GPL this, if you are going to do it at all.
>
> Only non-GPL compliant binary-modules can result from this
> change.
>
> People can easily do things like implement their own entire
> networking stack with this hook, which is not what we want nor
> is it allowed.

Don't assume we all want what you want.

As for allowed, it can
be worked around fairly easily by removing all protocol handlers and
then registering only yourself as the proprietary protocol handler,
and gobble all packets. Sure, it's a bit of a kludge, and will have
the various crufts (like the gettimeofday code) in there, but it
will basically allow you to replace the entire stack.

If I'm right about that, then what is the difference between replacing
the stack like that and replacing the netif_rx method entirely?

Ben

Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>
President of Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com
ScryMUD: http://scry.wanfear.com http://scry.wanfear.com/~greear