SubjectRe: [Fastboot] [CFT] kexec syscall for 2.5.43 (linux booting linux)
ebiederm@xmission.com (Eric W. Biederman) writes:

> Rob Landley <landley@trommello.org> writes:
>
> > On Tuesday 22 October 2002 03:33, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> >
> > > j < Printed from the second callback in setup.S, just before the
> > > kernel decompresser is run >
> > >

> > > I have a very strange node that makes it all of the way to 'j' before
> > > rebooting. The concept that something is dying in protected mode will all
> > > of the interrupts disabled is so novel that I really don't know what to
> > > make of it, yet.
> >
> > It would almost have to be the MMU. Any way to dump the page tables?
>
> I don't know yet. I need to find a way to install some additional hooks
> at run time so I can narrow down where the failure is occuring. I
> will have to look, but I should be able to set up an interrupt
> descriptor table and single step through the code.

In the process of setting up hooks, I have run across a very interesting
data point. If I load %ds, %es, %ss in my hook the problem goes away.
But I must load all 3.

Given that the code sequence that is executed if my hook is not run is:

cld
cli
movl $(__KERNEL_DS),%eax
movl %eax,%ds
movl %eax,%es
movl %eax,%fs
movl %eax,%gs

lss stack_start,%esp

I am rather confused. I am not changing the gdt or anything like that so it
appears I may have found a way to tickle a processor errata.

Anyway Andy if you have a second please try kexec-tools 1.3 and see what
happens when you pass it the debug option. I am really curious if your lockup
is anywhere near mine. I doubt it as I am running on a P4. But it appears
you never know what the problems will look like until you test them.

Eric

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.046 / U:0.128 seconds]