    SubjectRe: Son of crunch time: the list v1.2.
    Rob Landley wrote:
    > 1) Roman Zippel's new kernel configuration system.
    > Announce:
    > Code:

    I support merge, Linus seemed to support it with the caveat that he said
    he didn't personally see much discussion...

    > 2) Ted Tso's new ext2/ext3 code with extended attributes and access control
    > lists.
    > Announce:
    > Code: bk://

    No comment other than I notice tytso's patches got dropped (at least
    once/twice?). Maybe viro hasn't reviewed them?

    IIRC viro had some objections to ACLs in general and how they might not
    necessarily actually improve security -- but I did not see detailed
    elaboration on this.

    > 3) Linux Trace Toolkit (LTT) (Karim Yaghmour)
    > Announce:
    > Patch:
    > User tools:

    I dunno if this needs to be in the kernel...

    > 4) Device mapper for Logical Volume Manager (LVM2) (LVM2 team) (in -ac tree)

    Needs sysfs support or devmapperfs support... no need to add a bunch of
    ioctls that will go away eventually.

    > 5) VM large page support (Many people) (in -mm tree)

    Rob - this URL doesn't seen to have anything directly to do with large
    page support.

    Is this not already in the kernel? I still want to actually see someone
    from Oracle actually say "I will use this" or "we find this useful".

    [I cynically propose a sys_oracle and be done with it <g>]

    > 6) Page table sharing (Daniel Phillips, Dave McCracken) (in -mm tree)
    > (A newer version of which seems to be at:)

    IMO 2.7.x item...

    > 7) Dynamic Probes (dprobes team)

    why does this need to be the mainline kernel? this is another type of
    thing that can live as a patch, IMO...

    > 8) Zerocopy NFS (Hirokazu Takahashi)

    this is already merged, isn't it??

    > 9) High resolution timers (George Anzinger, etc.)

    no comment, I've heard arguments that high-res timers would be useful,
    but haven't read the patch myself so won't comment...

    > 10) EVMS (Enterprise Volume Management System) (EVMS team)

    Sounds like 2.7.x material, viro pointed out several problems ...

    > 11) Linux Kernel Crash Dumps (Matt Robinson, LKCD team)
    > Announce:
    > Code:

    I would personally _love_ to see this merged, but I think it's 2.7.x
    material given the recent comments (unless they get fixed up)

    > 12) Rewrite of the console layer (James Simmons)

    needs more review... but hasn't some of this stuff already made it in?
    (or am I thinking about fbdev...?)

    > 13) Kexec, luanch ELF format linux kernel from Linux (Eric W. Biederman)

    Useful, but at the same time not many people will use this I think. It
    may need to live as a patch for a while, if not for a long while...

    > 14) USAGI IPv6.
    > Yoshifuji Hideyaki points out that ipv6 is very important overseas
    > (where some entire countries make do with a single class B ipv4
    > address range). He says:
    >>Well, our IPsec is ready, runs and is tested...

    The USAGI guys have been slowly splitting up their patches and
    submitting them... AFAIK DaveM is just waiting on more split-up IPv6
    patches from them...

    > 17) Kernel Hooks (IBM kernel team, contact: Richard J. Moore.)

    at first glance this seems to have serious issues with being a black
    hole for overriding syscalls-type behavior...

    > 19) In-kernel module loader (Rusty Russell.)

    most likely 2.7.x material

    > 20) Unlimited groups patch (Tim Hockin.)

    I dunno if people want to take the hit in the mainline kernel... Maybe
    this should be a CONFIG_xxx option, or live outside as a patch that
    enterprise customers integrate

    > 8) ReiserFS 4
    > Hans Reiser said:
    >>We will send Reiser4 out soon, probably around the 27th.

    how mysterious... ;-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.028 / U:13.456 seconds]