    SubjectRe: ZONE_NORMAL exhaustion (dcache slab)
    "Martin J. Bligh" wrote:
    > >> My big NUMA box went OOM over the weekend and started killing things
    > >> for no good reason (2.5.43-mm2). Probably running some background
    > >> updatedb for locate thing, not doing any real work.
    > >>
    > >> meminfo:
    > >>

    > > Looks like a plain dentry leak to me. Very weird.
    > >
    > > Did the machine recover and run normally?
    > Nope, kept OOMing and killing everything .

    Something broke.

    > > Was it possible to force the dcache to shrink? (a cat /dev/hda1
    > > would do that nicely)
    > Well, I didn't try that, but even looking at man pages got oom killed,
    > so I guess not ... were you looking at the cat /dev/hda1 to fill pagecache
    > or something? I have 16Gb of highmem (pretty much all ununsed) so
    > presumably that'd fill the highmem first (pagecache?)

    Blockdevices only use ZONE_NORMAL for their pagecache. That cat will
    selectively put pressure on the normal zone (and DMA zone, of course).

    > > Is it reproducible?
    > Will try again. Presumably "find /" should do it? ;-)

    You must have a lot of files.

    Actually, I expect a `find /' will only stat directories,
    whereas an `ls -lR /' will stat plain files as well. Same
    thing for dcache, but the ls will push the icache harder.

    I don't know if updatedb stats regular files. Presumably not.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.022 / U:6.488 seconds]