SubjectRe: PROBLEM: ide-related kernel panic in 2.4.19 and 2.4.20-pre11

I am in California, USA where the Law exists.
Please note the question in quotes was directed back at me.
I assumed nothing about the country of origin from the original poster.
Please respect the point of not putting "me" in a compromised position.

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Andreas Steinmetz wrote:

> Andre Hedrick wrote:
> > So could you ask the question a little more blunt?
> >
> > "Gee, I am trying to break a US Law on content protection, would you be my
> > enabler? Don't worry, it only effects the US, and we are in a public
> > forum. Also, do you prefer gray or black in your future pin stripped
> > suit?"
> >
> I'm not taking any side in this, but:
>
> US law != World law (and hopefully this will stay so for a long time)
>
> Looking at the originators address and name he's from germany. FYI:
> There's no provision in the law here that denies you personal copies of
> copy protected contents assuming you own the original.
> In fact you even pay for this use when buying emtpy media, regardless if
> for data backup or copying.
> So what may be illegal in the US is legal in other countries and
> royalties are already taken care of (by law).
> As I do assume that in case of this posting the actual target was a
> personal record compilation for mobile use you should not accuse people
> lightly of breaking the law when you seemingly don't know what law applies.
> This doesn't mean that you have to take any action as it seems you live
> in a country where any private software development already tends to be
> illegal.
> To state it again: I'm strictly against illegal copying but what you
> state here is nonsense for a lot of countries.
> --
> Andreas Steinmetz

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.073 / U:0.032 seconds]