SubjectRe: RPM installation problem.

--- Tom Pr <tompr_2002@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> Sorry for confusion. It is SRPM. Any idea why I am
> getting this problem. I wanted to install kernel
> source RPM and compile the kernel.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --- Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 10:52:47AM -0700, Tom Pr
> > wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > If I try to install an RPM on my machine, it works
> > > fine. It displays ####............. 100%. I am
> > > sure it is installing perfectly.Once installation
> > is
> > > completed if I query for the RPM, it says the RPM
> > > never installed. what is it behaving that way? Do
> > > need to do any thing else?
> > >
> > > Any inputs will be appreciated.
> > 1) This is not a question for lkml - try the most
> > local LUG ml instead.
> > 2) To my knowledge Source RPM's does not show up in
> > the database, and therefore not in rpm -q.
> > Maybe it's a SRPM?
> >
> > Sam

Assuming you are using RedHat or similar, you want to install a kernel-source
RPM not a kernel SRPM. The kernel SRPM is for rebuilding a packaged kernel
RPM, while if you want to play with the distributions kernel source you want
the kernel-source RPM.

Alternativly, you could download kernel source from kernel.org or a mirror.
This is different to the kernel that came with your distribution. The kernels
that come with distributions have been modified with various patches for
feature enhancements and/or bugfixes.

It is the kernels available from kernel.org that are discussed on linux-kernel.
Distribution kernels should be disscussed on distribution mail-lists.

=====
Steve