SubjectRe: 2.5.43 disk repartitioning problems
On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Dave Olien wrote:

> I'm working on the Mylex DAC960 device driver, bring in up to date
> with the new block and dma interfaces. I've been posting patches on
> occasion. I've also noticed you updating the driver when you make changes
> to the gendisk kernel interfaces. Those updates are very helpful.
>
> I've noticed in 2.4.3 at least, that some changes to disk partitions
> aren't noticed until you reboot. The same problem is seen with aacraid.
> I don't THINK this is a driver issue. But, I might have missed something.

Linux has always read the partition table at first use AFAIK. So if you
have never used a drive you can repartition it and then use it, but once
you use any one partition the table is not reread.

I *think* if you unmount all partitions (including swapoff swaps) you can
see changes, but that's from memory, I haven't tried it in a long time.

Don't believe it's a bug, it's a design decision.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc