    SubjectRe: [patch] thread-aware coredumps, 2.5.43-C3
    On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 11:11:21AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > - properly wait for all threads that share the same MM to serialize with
    > the coredumping thread. This is CLONE_VM based, not tied to
    > CLONE_THREAD and/or signal semantics, ie. old-style (or different-style)
    > threaded apps will be properly stopped as well.
    >
    > The locking might look a bit complex, but i wanted to keep the
    > __exit_mm() overhead as low as possible. It's not quite trivial to get
    > these bits right, because 'sharing the MM' is detached from signals
    > semantics, so we cannot rely on broadcast-kill catching all threads. So
    > zap_threads() iterates through every thread and zaps those which were
    > left out. (There's a minimal race left in where a newly forked child
    > might escape the attention of zap_threads() - this race is fixed by the
    > OOM fixes in the mmap-speedup patch.)

    My only problem with this is that you're waiting for all threads by
    SIGKILLing them. If a process vforks or clones, and then the child
    crashes, the parent will receive a SIGKILL - iff we are dumping core.
    That's a change in behavior that seems a bit too arbitrary to me.

    --
    Daniel Jacobowitz
    MontaVista Software Debian GNU/Linux Developer