SubjectRe: Kernel reports 4 CPUS instead of 2...
On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 17:21, Bryan Whitehead wrote:
> My /proc/cpuinfo says I have ht CPU's... but i only see 2 CPU's... (Yet
> I have 2 1.7Ghz XEONs in the box so shouldn't I see 4?)
>
> It's a Dell Precisions 530 workstation.
>
> Does intel have ht CPU's that are messed up? and I'm one of the "lucky
> ones". ?

Intel lists the Xeon with a 256KB cache as a workstation processor, and
indicate that it doesn't do hyperthreading. They indicate that you need
to buy the higher end Xeons to use hyperthreading. I don't know if this
is similar to AMD and the Athlon XP, Athlon MP; or, they really don't do
hyperthreading.

If someone knows how to get hyperthreading working on Xeons with a 256KB
cache I'd love to know. We have a cluster of these running on
SuperMicro P4DC6's that I'd like to try hyperthreading on. The
motherboards don't have a bios setting for hyperthreading
though.

http://www.intel.com/design/Xeon/prodbref/

> [...]
> cache size : 256 KB
> fdiv_bug : no
> hlt_bug : no
> f00f_bug : no
> coma_bug : no
> fpu : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid level : 2
> wp : yes
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
> pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
> bogomips : 3381.65
>
> processor : 1
> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> cpu family : 15
> model : 1
> model name : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 1.70GHz
> stepping : 2
> cpu MHz : 1694.863
> cache size : 256 KB
> fdiv_bug : no
> hlt_bug : no
> f00f_bug : no
> coma_bug : no
> fpu : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid level : 2
> wp : yes
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
> pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
> bogomips : 3381.65
>

> Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Mark Cuss wrote:
> >

> >>Hello all
> >>
> >>I'm working with a new Dell Poweredge 4600 Server with Dual CPUs. However,
> >>Linux reports that it sees 4 CPUs... I have opened the thing to see if Dell
> >>gave me 2 extras for free, but no luck: Attached is /proc/cpuinfo.
> >>
> >>I've tried the RedHat 8.0 stock kernel, as well as a freshly compiled 2.4.19
> >>but both exhibit the same behavior.
> >>
> >>The specifics on the machine:
> >>
> >>Dual Xeon 2.2 GHz CPUs (512 k L2 cache)
> >>2 Gigs DDR RAM
> >>The chipset is a ServerWorks CMIC-HE (see attached lspci for complete
> >>listing).
> >>
> >>Has anyone else seen this behavior? The only other SMP machine I have is an
> >>older Dell server with Dual 1 GHz coppermines, and it reports 2 CPUs...
> >>
> >>Any information or advice is greatly appreciated...
> >>
> >>Thanks in Advance,
> >>
> >>Mark
> >>

> > This has become a FAQ. The processors are capable of so-called
> > "hyperthreading". They have two execution units, therefore seem
> > like two CPUs.
> >
> > This is the correct behavior. If you don't like this, you can
> > swap motherboards with me ;) Otherwise, grin and bear it!
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Dick Johnson
> > Penguin : Linux version 2.4.18 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).
> > The US military has given us many words, FUBAR, SNAFU, now ENRON.
> > Yes, top management were graduates of West Point and Annapolis.
> >
> > -
>

> --
> Bryan Whitehead
> SysAdmin - JPL - Interferometry Systems and Technology

Mark Chernault <marchern@cs.nmsu.edu>
Technical Assistant, COG, CS Dept., NMSU