SubjectRe: [RFC] bridge-nf -- map IPv4 hooks onto bridge hooks, vs 2.5.42
Date
> It is my job to show you why a piece of code isn't going
> to go in. It is not my job to help you dream up a better
> solution.
>
> Because, frankly I don't care about bridge netfiltering.

You were the one who asked for that patch.

> I do care about keeping the code as clean as possible so I don't
> run into road blocks when trying to rework input/output processing
> just because I let some bogon hack into the tree I must continue to
> support.

Ack.

> You do care about bridge netfiltering, so you are going to be the
> one to find the clean solution that doesn't touch net/ipv4/*.c :-)

I care about Linux. I absolutely don't need a bridging firewall for anything.
I just happen to know something about it.

> That could work too, I think you'll need to specify a seperate
> destructor in that case, and all this stuff ifdef'd on whether
> bridge netfiltering is enabled or not.

This brings me to another question: I've been told it is the general concensus
that this bridge firewall should be compiled in the kernel if
CONFIG_NETFILTER=y. Or should it be a user option? It is predicted that using
a user option will give alot of questions about the bridge firewall not
working.

> Again, talk to the netfilter folks. They may even have ideas
> for you that you haven't dreamt of yet.

Will do.

--
cheers,