    Subject2.5.41-mm3

    url: http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/2.5/2.5.41/2.5.41-mm3/

    . Merged up John's latest 2.5 oprofile, so folks will have to wean
    themselves off the crufty old one.

    You'll have to grab the userspace tools from
    http://oprofile.sourceforge.net/oprofile-2.5.html

    Use:

    mkdir /dev/oprofile # John forgot this
    ./configure --with-kernel-support
    make install

    Or just do what I didn't do and read the web page.

    Quite a few things seem to have changed with oprofile. A typical
    profiling cycle would now be:

    rm -rf /var/lib/oprofile
    op_start --ctr0-count=50000 --ctr0-event=CPU_CLK_UNHALTED \
    --vmlinux=/path/to/vmlinux
    <run test>
    op_stop
    sleep 3
    oprofpp -l -i /boot/vmlinux
    kill $(cat /var/lib/oprofile/lock)

    You must kill the daemon by hand before you can run op_start
    again.

    . I've dropped the 512-byte O_DIRECT alignment patch for now. It's
    over in the experimental directory. I'd like to get a decent round
    of testing with the bio_add_page fix so we can get that into Linus
    and get direct-io generally stabilised again before moving on.

    . We've had some encouraging performance test results on the
    shared pagetable code, but also a couple of crashes. The people
    who are monitoring performance may want to try that out. It is
    selectable in config.

    . Turns out that the idea of unmapped mapped pagecache a little earlier
    than swapping out anon memory was a poor one. Changed the VM so that
    we treat these types of pages the same.

    It would be really appreciated if people who are interested in "the
    desktop experience" could give this patchset a try. It's working
    well for me; but that's not a large sample...

    -guruhugh.patch
    -pte-highmem-warning.patch
    -raw-use-o_direct.patch
    -remove-radix_tree_reserve.patch
    -ext3-yield.patch
    -readv-writev-check-fix.patch

    Merged

    +kgdb.patch

    Make things simpler for myself

    +oprofile-25.patch

    Latest version

    +hugetlb-meminfo.patch

    Change the layout of the hugetlbpage info in /proc/meminfo

    +dio-bio-add-fix-1.patch

    Direct-io fixes

    +net-loopback.patch

    Davem's patch to make the loopback device save a copy. Doesn't seem
    to affect anything really.

    -dio-fine-alignment.patch

    Moved to ../experimental for now

    +blkdev-o_direct-short-read.patch

    Fix O_DIRECT-read-past-EOF for blockdevs

    +msync-correctness.patch

    msync() standards fix

    +page_reserved-accounting.patch

    Global accounting for PageReserved pages

    +use-page_reserved_accounting.patch

    Use the above in a couple of VM decision-making places

    +shpte-ifdef.patch

    Reduce shpte ifdeffery a little

    +shpte-mprotect-fix.patch

    Shared pagetable mprotect fix.

    linus.patch
    cset-1.573.100.12-to-1.738.txt.gz

    kgdb.patch

    oprofile-25.patch

    misc.patch
    misc

    swsusp-feature.patch
    add shrink_all_memory() for swsusp

    hugetlb-meminfo.patch
    change hugetlbpage info in /proc/meminfo

    dio-bio-add-fix-1.patch
    Fix direct-io for bio_add_page()

    net-loopback.patch
    Disable second copy in the network loopback driver

    large-queue-throttle.patch
    Improve writer throttling for small machines

    exit-page-referenced.patch
    Propagate pte referenced bit into pagecache during unmap

    swappiness.patch
    swappiness control

    mapped-start-active.patch
    start anonymous pages on the active list

    rename-dirty_async_ratio.patch
    rename dirty_async_ratio to dirty_ratio

    auto-dirty-memory.patch
    adaptive dirty-memory thresholding

    batched-slab-asap.patch
    batched slab shrinking and shrinker callback API

    blkdev-o_direct-short-read.patch
    Fix O_DIRECT blockdev reads at end-of-device

    orlov-allocator.patch

    lseek-ext2_readdir.patch
    remove lock_kernel() from ext2_readdir()

    msync-correctness.patch
    msync correctness fix

    write-deadlock.patch
    Fix the generic_file_write-from-same-mmapped-page deadlock

    rd-cleanup.patch
    Cleanup and fix the ramdisk driver (doesn't work right yet)

    spin-lock-check.patch
    spinlock/rwlock checking infrastructure

    hugetlb-prefault.patch
    hugetlbpages: factor out some code for hugetlbfs

    ramfs-aops.patch
    Move ramfs address_space ops into libfs

    hugetlb-header-split.patch
    Move hugetlb declarations into their own header

    hugetlbfs.patch
    hugetlbfs file system

    hugetlb-shm.patch
    hugetlbfs backing for SYSV shared memory

    page_reserved-accounting.patch
    Global PageReserved accounting

    use-page_reserved_accounting.patch
    Use PG_reserved accounting in the VM

    ramfs-prepare-write-speedup.patch
    correctness fixes in libfs address_space ops

    akpm-deadline.patch
    deadline scheduler tweaks

    intel-user-copy.patch
    Faster copt_*_user for Intel ia32 CPUs

    raid0-fix.patch
    RAID0 fix

    rmqueue_bulk.patch
    bulk page allocator

    free_pages_bulk.patch
    Bulk page freeing function

    hot_cold_pages.patch
    Hot/Cold pages and zone->lock amortisation

    readahead-cold-pages.patch
    Use cache-cold pages for pagecache reads.

    pagevec-hot-cold-hint.patch
    hot/cold hints for truncate and page reclaim

    page-reservation.patch
    Page reservation API

    slab-split-01-rename.patch
    slab cleanup: rename static functions

    slab-split-02-SMP.patch
    slab: enable the cpu arrays on uniprocessor

    slab-split-03-tail.patch
    slab: reduced internal fragmentation

    slab-split-04-drain.patch
    slab: take the spinlock in the drain function.

    slab-split-05-name.patch
    slab: remove spaces from /proc identifiers

    slab-split-06-mand-cpuarray.patch
    slab: cleanups and speedups

    slab-split-07-inline.patch
    slab: uninline poisoning checks

    slab-split-08-reap.patch
    slab: reap timers

    cpucache_init-fix.patch
    cpucache_init fix

    slab-split-10-list_for_each_fix.patch
    slab: for a list walking bug

    shpte.patch

    shpte-ifdef.patch
    reduced ifdeffery in the shared pagetable code

    shpte-mprotect-fix.patch
    fix shared pagetable handling of mprotect

    read_barrier_depends.patch
    extended barrier primitives

    rcu_ltimer.patch
    RCU core

    dcache_rcu.patch
    Use RCU for dcache

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.030 / U:10.156 seconds]