    SubjectFork timing numbers for shared page tables

    --On Thursday, October 10, 2002 12:44:19 -0700 Andrew Morton
    <> wrote:

    > Be nice to get some compelling benchmark figures onto the
    > mailing lists to help push these. They're pretty late...

    I've done some basic timing tests for shared page tables using a simple
    fork test I wrote. It has three modes:

    The first mode forks as fast as it can, then calculates how long each fork
    took. This measures the time the fork() system call took.

    The second mode adds a wait() for the child after the fork. The child just
    calls exit(0). This measures how long the child ran.

    The third mode adds an exec() in the child of a very small executable,
    which just exits. This adds the exec() time to the mix.

    The program also optionally allocates a shared memory object and touches
    all the pages in it before the start of the test. This adds extra pages to
    be dealt with by fork/exec/exit. None of the pages are touched after the
    test starts.

    I ran this test in three cases, 2.5.41, 2.5.41-mm2 without share, and
    2.5.41-mm2 with share.

    Now for the results (all times are in ms):

    2.5.41 mm2-unshared mm2-shared
    ------ ------------ ----------

    400K 1.7 1.6 0.5
    4M 5.0 5.0 3.4
    40M 28.4 29.5 3.4

    400K 1.7 1.6 1.6
    4M 4.9 5.3 4.1
    40M 44.2 45.1 4.1

    400K 6.5 7.5 7.7
    4M 10.3 11.9 10.7
    40M 49.3 51.4 10.7

    I don't know why exec introduces a small penalty for small tasks. I'm
    working on some optimizations that might help.

    Dave McCracken

    Dave McCracken IBM Linux Base Kernel Team 1-512-838-3059 T/L 678-3059

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.027 / U:0.324 seconds]