    SubjectRe: A simple request (was Re: boring BK stats)
    Larry McVoy wrote:
    >>The laptop has 200MB RAM, and mozilla and a ton of xterms loaded. IDE
    >>drives w/ Intel PIIX4 controller. The Dual Athlon has 512MB RAM, and I
    >>forget what kind of IDE controller -- I think AMD. IDE drives as well.
    >>
    >>BitKeeper must scan the entire tree when doing a checkin or checkout, so
    >>that is impossible to optimize at the SCM level without compromising
    >>features... if your source tree takes up ~190MB on disk, you have 200MB
    >>of RAM total, and you need to sequentially scan the entire thing, there
    >>is nothing that can be done at either the OS or app level... You're just
    >>screwed. Things are extremely fast on the Dual Athlon because the
    >>entire tree is in RAM.
    >

    > In low memory situations you really want to run the tree compressed.
    > ON a fast machine do a "bk -r admin -Z" and then clone that onto your
    > laptop. I think that will drop the tree to about 145MB which will
    > help, maybe. I suspect that you use enough of the rest of your 200MB
    > that it still won't fit.

    Yeah, I don't think that will help at all, given that X and KDE and all
    its acoutrements are loaded... I would rather run uncompressed anyway :)

    > For the checkouts, always do a "bk -r get -S" the -S doesn't check out the
    > file again if it is already there. We could make that the default but
    > it is an interface change. A fairly minor one though.

    I do "bk -r co -Sq", is the above faster than that?

    > We've got some other fixes in the pipeline for the checkin and integrity
    > check pass.
    >
    > There is only so much we can do when you are trying to cram 10 pounds of
    > crap in a 5 pound bag :(

    indeed :) That's why I keep repeating that it's not BK's fault, and
    keep pointing out that my Dual Athlon with plenty of RAM does multiple
    simultaneous checks/checkins quite rapidly.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.025 / U:0.120 seconds]