    SubjectRe: Linux v2.5.40 - and a feature freeze reminder

    On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Alexander Viro wrote:
    > Umm... Speaking of 32bit dev_t, I'd rather do it right way.

    Hey, if you drive that part, I'll be very happy.

    I don't doubt you can fix up the block device handling quite nicely by
    now, but I worry about all the other crud, including how to make the
    interfaces be backwards-compatible etc, and making sure we convert
    correctly in all the right places.

    The explicit dev_t<->kdev_t conversion has fixed only a subset of the
    problems, and we still use dev_t as keys into things (ie we have this
    notion that two different dev_t never map to the same "bdev *", for
    example - which totally breaks aliases etc).

    There's also all the user-level interfaces for dev_t, and the disk layout
    interfaces used by various filesystems.

    We can easily make kdev_t be 32-bit, but without a 32-bit dev_t that
    doesn't help much.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.017 / U:49.864 seconds]