SubjectDifficulties in interoperating with Windows

IANAL, but I wondered why there is such difficulty with making Linux work
completely with Windows systems? I guess part of it may be that Windows
is closed source but as reverse engineering for interoperability is legal
in the UK (regardless of what the End User License states), is the problem
that it is difficult to read the Assembly easily?

Is there not a project on Linux to convert assembly back to C? Would
this be exceptionally hard?

Just wondered why Linux has struggled for a while to interoperate with
Windows completely...

Andy Jeffries | Scramdisk Linux Project | Lead developer
"testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up
it is perfect."
--- Linus Torvalds