    SubjectRe: __FUNCTION__
    On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 06:12:02PM -0800, Richard Henderson wrote:
    > __FUNCTION__ was never a string literal in g++ because you can't decide
    > what the name of a template is until you instantiate it.

    According to the info page it was:
    The compiler automagically replaces the identifiers with a
    string literal containing the appropriate name.

    This is written right after a lovely C++ example of using __FUNCTION__
    and __PRETTY_FUNCTION__. But I can understand the difficulties of
    determining this for some C++ cases.

    > Having __FUNCTION__ be a magic cpp thingy means there is a translation
    > phase violation. Preprocessor macros are expanded in phase 4, string
    > concatenation happens in phase 6, syntactic and symantic analysis
    > doesn't happen until phase 7.
    > So changing this allows us to change two things: (1) the integrated
    > preprocessor can concatenate adjacent string literals and do lexical
    > analysis exactly as described in the standard, and (2) removes an
    > irrelevant difference between c and c++ so that at some point we can
    > support both with a single front-end.

    So, if you are going to change this (well, sounds like it is already
    done), what is the timeline from taking a well documented feature and
    breaking it (based on the example in the info page)? First a warning,
    and then an error, right? What version of the compiler emits a warning,
    and what future version will emit an error? I didn't see anything about
    these kinds of changes in the gcc development plan, or am I missing some
    documentation somewhere?

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.023 / U:1.712 seconds]