    SubjectRe: 1gb RAM + 1gb SWAP + make -j bzImage = OOM
    On Sun, 6 Jan 2002 22:22:16 -0800
    "Phil Oester" <kernel@theoesters.com> wrote:

    > I've rerun this test a number of times, and cannot reliably reproduce
    > the OOM - though it still does OOM occasionally. It never OOM's right
    > after a bootup - usually the greatest chance of OOM is after 2 or 3
    > consecutive runs without a reboot. Once it even froze the box and
    > required a powercycle.
    >
    > I'm surprised you cannot OOM with 1gb RAM/256MB swap, as sometimes I'm
    > over 900MB in swap - did you try consecutive runs, or just once and then
    > reboot between each run?

    I tried just about everything I could think of and it never went in OOM. Even
    the first test I did were with several days uptime - meaning far away from
    "cleaning" reboot. I hate reboot :-)

    > [...]
    > Haven't yet tried Martin's patch - though since I can't reliably produce
    > the OOM, testing it wouldn't help much.

    Well, take the other side: if you do not manage to OOM afterwards, even at the
    tenth consecutive try, there is probably something about the patch ...

    Regards,
    Stephan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.027 / U:0.204 seconds]