    SubjectRe: ALSA patch for 2.5.2pre9 kernel
    On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 09:02:39AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > linux/sound is silly. It's drivers so put it under linux/drivers/sound.
    >
    > That was my initial reaction too, but Jaroslav clearly wants a
    > higher-level generic hierarchy. Which means that we're not talking about
    > _drivers_ any more, we're talking about something that is much more
    > closely related to a "networking" kind of thing.

    If you look at the code it clearly is driver code.

    > So we could have a net-based setup, where there would be a totally
    > separate "linux/sound" and "linux/drivers/sound". Which doesn't seem to
    > make much sense either.

    If really wants that I'd go for this.

    > Or we could just have a really _deep_ hierarchy, and put everything under
    > "linux/drivers/sound/..",

    Yes. From a maintaince view that is no different from the same
    hierarchy under linux/sound, but introducing drivers (_lots_ of drivers)
    outside linux/drivers is very stupid.

    Christoph