    SubjectRe: [announce] [patch] ultra-scalable O(1) SMP and UP scheduler

    On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Davide Libenzi wrote:

    > Ingo, you don't need that many queues, 32 are more than sufficent. If
    > you look at the distribution you'll see that it matters ( for
    > interactive feel ) only the very first ( top ) queues, while lower
    > ones can very easily tollerate a FIFO pickup w/out bad feelings.

    I have no problem with using 32 queues as long as we keep the code
    flexible enough to increase the queue length if needed. I think we should
    make it flexible and not restrict ourselves to something like word size.
    (with this i'm not suggesting that you meant this, i'm just trying to make
    sure.) I saw really good (behavioral, latency, not performance) effects of
    the longer queue under high load, but this must be weighed against the
    cache footprint of the queues.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.020 / U:29.644 seconds]