SubjectRe: [FIX] missing piece from fs/super.c in -pre8

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Alexander Viro wrote:
> >
> > Linus, I doubt that making the thing inline was a good idea. Reason: for
> > filesystems like NFS we almost definitely want something like server name
> > + root path to identify the superblock. And that can easily grow past
> > 32 bytes.
>
> Since it is only used for printouts, I'd much rather have simpler code.
> Especially since I couldn't convince myself that all users in your version
> even initialized the dang pointer.

Set to NULL when we allocate superblock.
Allocated and set by get_sb_bdev() (which takes care of block filesystems)
Allocated and set by nfs_read_super() (which takes care of NFS).
That covers all users...

> There is nothing wrong with having a requirement that informational stuff
> be limited to X characters..

In principle - yes...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.834 / U:0.012 seconds]