On Wednesday 30 January 2002 10:40 pm, Daniel Phillips wrote:

> You will never figure that out, it isn't predefined. It reshapes itself on
> the fly, and is really defined by what is going on at any given time. That
> said, it's usually possible to figure out how the main maintainers are, and
> what to send where, just don't hope to ever nail that down in a rigid
> structure. It's not rigid.

As long as the maintainers know who the lieutenants are, nobody under them
should really have to care that much...

> > I expect it will all get worked out eventually. Now that the secret of
> > the difference between maintainers and lieutenants is out.
>
> By the way, that never was a secret to anybody in active development.

I.E. the people who knew it knew it, and hence never noticed the problem...

There are, however, some people writing largeish bits of code that did not in
fact seem to know it. Andre Hedrick's IDE work, Eric Raymond with the help
files and CML2, Kieth Owens' new build process... Maybe it was even a factor
in Alan Cox burning out (you'd have to ask him about that)...

> > The thread seems to be dying down a bit... :)
>
> Right, people are working on solutions. As usual, though much dung did
> fly, Linus comes out smelling like a rose.

Gee, what a suprise. :)

Rob

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:16    [W:0.809 / U:0.336 seconds]