    Larry McVoy writes:

    > On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 09:07:07AM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
    > > Then how do we do this in the bk trees period? To give a concrete
    > > example, I want to move arch/ppc/platforms/prpmc750_setup.c from
    > > 2_4_devel into 2_4, without loosing history. How? And just this file
    > > and not all of _devel.
    >
    > That question doesn't parse. There are multiple ways you can do it but
    > once you do patches will no longer import cleanly from Linus. The whole
    > point of the pristine tree is to give yourself a tree into which you can
    > import Linus patches. If you start putting extra stuff in there you will
    > get patch rejects.

    I think there is a misunderstanding here: we actually have 3 trees:

    linux_2_4 "pristine" tree, identical to Marcelo's latest
    linuxppc_2_4 "stable" tree, stuff we are pushing to Marcelo
    linuxppc_2_4_devel "devel" tree, bleeding edge stuff

    Normally linuxppc_2_4 pulls from linux_2_4 and linuxppc_2_4_devel
    pulls from linuxppc_2_4. That is, linuxppc_2_4_devel has all of the
    changesets that are in linuxppc_2_4, and more. When Marcelo does a
    new release the changes go into linux_2_4 and propagate from there
    into linuxppc_2_4 and then linuxppc_2_4_devel.

    Now when we decide that some stuff in linuxppc_2_4_devel has matured
    to the point where we want it in linuxppc_2_4, what we currently do,
    conceptually at least, is to generate a patch with the changes we want
    and apply that to the linuxppc_2_4 tree. If we had the ability to
    apply changesets out-of-order, presumably what we could do is to push
    the particular changesets of interest from linuxppc_2_4_devel back up
    into linuxppc_2_4. Then when we pulled from linuxppc_2_4 into
    linuxppc_2_4_devel, bk would presumably say "got that one already"
    about those changesets.

    At the moment the process of applying a patch to linuxppc_2_4 and
    doing the pull into linuxppc_2_4_devel results in conflicts which bk
    mostly handles automatically *except* in the cases where the patch
    creates new files.

    Paul.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:16    [W:4.141 / U:0.040 seconds]