SubjectRe: Wanted: Volunteer to code a Patchbot
At 02:26 AM 31/01/02 +0100, Daniel Phillips wrote:
>On January 31, 2002 01:49 am, Stuart Young wrote:
> > Possibly, but then it'll reply to the spammer and you'll get bounces left
> > and right. Perhaps it's a simple case that the patcher submitting will
> have
> > to have registered the email address before submitting their patch. Only
> > needs to be done once (not every time a patch is submitted, that's mad!),
> > and weeds out the noise.
>
>Yes, that's a point for discussion. Certainly, a patchbot list like
>patches-2.5-maintainer should require registration, and in fact, registration
>for this list will be by invitation. It's not so clear what the policy
>should be on the patches-2.5 list. Openness is a nice thing to be able to
>boast about. Maybe the thing to do is try it open, and see how it works out.

True. But if it comes to it, a once off authentication to 'allow' an e-mail
address weeds out a hell of a lot of spambots.

>We also have to worry about malicious spamming of the patch list. I've heard
>this happened to kuro5hin's story submission queue - there is no accounting
>for all the forms of insect life out there.

Malicious spamming will happen no matter what you do, unless you vet the
subscriptions manually.

Stuart Young - sgy@amc.com.au
(aka Cefiar) - cefiar1@optushome.com.au

[All opinions expressed in the above message are my]
[own and not necessarily the views of my employer..]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:16    [W:0.307 / U:0.720 seconds]