SubjectRe: PROBLEM: high system usage / poor SMP network performance
Date
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Kegel" <dank@kegel.com>
To: "Vincent Sweeney" <v.sweeney@barrysworld.com>;
<linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 6:00 PM
Subject: Re: PROBLEM: high system usage / poor SMP network performance

(http://www.kegel.com/dkftpbench/dkftpbench-0.38.tar.gz);
> that would let us compare poll(), realtimesignals, and /dev/epoll
> to see how well they do on your workload.
> - Dan

So basically you are telling me these are my options:

1) Someone is going to have to recode the ircd source we use and
possibly a modified kernel in the *hope* that performance improves.
2) Convert the box to FreeBSD which seems to have a better poll()
implementation, and where I could support 8K clients easily as other admins
on my chat network do already.
3) Move the ircd processes to some 400Mhz Ultra 5's running Solaris-8
which run 3-4K users at 60% cpu!

Now I want to run Linux but unless I get this issue resolved I'm essentialy
not utilizing my hardware to the best of its ability.

Vince.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.153 / U:0.108 seconds]